Skip to main content

Changing Seats




Ever since the move I've been stuck with crappy seats on the train. In the mornings, Tarrytown is the last stop before Grand Central and the crowd waiting on the platform is huge - hundreds easily. And when the train arrives, everyone pushes and shoves to be the first on board, scrambling for the all-hallowed window seat. I occasionally am lucky enough to procure one of these seat, but it never fails that it's facing the wrong direction...looking back instead of forward. I can't explain why this bothers me so much, but it's been a thorn for the last year - for as long as I've been taking the Metro North.

When I do end up with one of the backward seats I find I'm always trying to rationalize that a window is a window...at least there's something to look at. I should be happy that I'm not stuck staring at the back of someone's head or the seat in front of me. I can see the river, the bridges and the cliffs across the way...

But reasoning with myself never works. I still get icked-out that I'm facing the wrong way. And I've always wondered...

Why the HELL is that???

Then today, after I was seated in one of these seats, and as I sat watching the world passing me by in reverse, I think I figured out why I hate it so much.

I like seeing where I'm headed, not where I've been.
I like seeing what awaits me, not what I'm leaving behind.
I like feeling that I'm moving towards something, not stuck moving backwards.

And the bigger question I asked myself was...

If I physically must sit where I can see what lies before me...why do I mentally spend so much time facing backwards...wallowing in the past...not seeing what's ahead - making even the present a peripheral blur until it, too, passes me be...in reverse.

Neither lived, nor enjoyed, but reflected upon like a distant movie.

Time is carrying me forward, yet I continue looking back.
Never seeing the sun rising upon me because I'm focused on the memories of where it has set.

I think its time to take another seat on this train.

Comments

Anonymous said…
pooh hun,
i think you need to write this on paper and post it where you will read it daily...not all of it just a short version, maybe by the mirror so every morning you can look at your self and remind yourself, speaking out loud...to not worry or think of the past but to look forward to the future...along with that tell your self in the mirror that today is going to be great...then at the end of the day make yourself find at least one good thing about the day and think only about that!

*smile*

i hope that it will help with your depression, i know how much depression sucks, i was trapped in it for years as a teen. Try this, and let me know if it helps any. Do it daily for two weeks and then see if you feel any relief...i think you will!

*smiles*
big big hugs

Popular posts from this blog

Haunted

I knew something was different as soon as I opened the door. It was the smell...stale and old, like an ancient house that had been kept dark for centuries. This house is old and well stocked with more nick-nacks, battered lamps and ceramic vases than one could ever hope to find a place for, which could certainly make the claustrophobic feel rather constricted. Yes, at times the overflow of forgotten junk can be annoying, but it gives this place a decidedly grandmotherly feel (a feeling I quite enjoy now that my own grandmother has passed). Until today the air in the house has been fresh...unless you ventured into the basement after a particularly nasty day of baptisms and defecations by the two house-rats (I dare not call them dogs because these animals lack any of the common sense or cuteness of their canine counterparts) and in those instances a gasmask would not save you from the assault - but I digress... The smell stopped me in the entry way, backpack still slung, key still in han

It's a New Day

I wish I felt more accomplished when it comes to keeping up with this blog. So much has happened/changed over the last 6 months and there were times when the outlet I have here would've helped immensely had I chosen to pour myself into it. I've found myself romanced by the simplicity and immediacy of facebook, however the forced brevity always leaves me feeling less than purged after posting. I've also realized the lack of anonymity amongst family and certain friends forces me to censor myself, something I have a difficult time accomplishing. *sigh* So very much has changed. I really should spend more time here. It would do me good.

Depression, Medication, and the Infinite Wisdom of Pooh

"I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me." It's no secret that I struggle with Depression. I may not openly admit that I'm a loony fuck, but those in my life can tell when something isn't quite right. They witness the "real" me - the talkative perky bitch who will bug the shit out of you with girly nonsensical chatter, crazy laughter and too much silliness. I like this person. She makes me happy...probably because she is happy. But then there's this other me. The fearful Doubting Thomas, the one who counts imperfections on her bedroom ceiling, the one who curls up in a fetal position for days at a time, crying out for someone, anyone, to come and hold her, cradle her like a baby and rock her back and forth saying "It's all right...It's ok..." The scary thing is, in those moments - while I'm sobbing and an emotional wreck - I do find that comfort I need, however it's my own hand that caresses my cheek, my